> I don't mean to bash php in any way (as in the Ruby plugs in my last
> post).  I use it because it has so many advantages over other more
> system-oriented not web-oriented languages for this type of work.  It's
> fantastic.

I don't think anyone will take offense to your mentioning the advantages
of another language (especially another open source language).  PHP
definately has it's worts and there's no point in sticking our heads in
the sand and pretending they are not there.

> I see so much enthusiasm on the web for this language, a significant
> codebase, feature list (I'm not sure, but does ASP generate SWF files,
> PDF files, support IMAP, etc), and it has a lot of great developers
> dedicated to it.  But we need to be constantly self-critical, or we
> won't see areas we can improve in.

Exactly.  If the volume of this list is any indicator, I'd say PHP has
grown quite a bit in the past six months.

> I also feel it's good to know more than one language, so you get more
> than one approach and you're more adaptable to situations that PHP (or
> whatever your language of choice may be) can't work in.

Definately.  Knowing Java or C will change the way your write code in Perl
or PHP (and vice versa).  I've written code in everything from ASM to toy
scripting languages (by "toy scripting languages", I mean the small
embedded scripting languages found in some applications - not PHP) and I'm
a better programmer because of it.

(Ruby does look very cool...I need to pick up the "Pragmatic Programmers
Guide to Ruby" - the guys that wrote it also wrote "The Pragmatic
Programmer" which is a great book.)

Regards,

Sean