Hello,

I posted a message a few days back about a compile error I was getting on a
Apache install w/ PHP2, PHP4, msql, mysql, and ssl.  I haven't had any
response, so I decided to try and simplify and isolate the problem by
eliminating PHP4, mysql, and ssl.  Basically, I've prepped PHP2 as an Apache
module with msql support (msql is already installed on my system), and now
I'm just trying to compile PHP2 into Apache, via the following commands:

[root@machine apache_1.3.14]# ./configure
--activate-module=src/modules/extra/libphp.a --enable-module=php
--prefix=/usr/local/apache

configuration output... blah blah blah

[root@machine apache_1.3.14]# make
it goes through several directories compiling successfully, then I get the
following error:
gcc  -DLINUX=2 -DUSE_HSREGEX -DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/expat-lite -DNO_DL_NEEDED
`./apaci`    \
     -o httpd buildmark.o modules.o modules/standard/libstandard.a
modules/extra/libextra.a main/libmain.a
./os/unix/libos.a ap/lib ap.a regex/libregex.a lib/expat-lite/libexpat.a
 -lm -lcrypt
modules/extra/libextra.a: could not read symbols: Archive has no index; run
ranlib to add one
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [target_static] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/source/apache_1.3.14/src'
make[1]: *** [build-std] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/source/apache_1.3.14'
make: *** [build] Error 2
[root@machine apache_1.3.14]#

I've searched the web and found references to this error
(modules/extra/libextra.a: could not read symbols: Archive has no index; run
ranlib to add one)... but no solution.  Any assistance would be appreciated,
and yes, I have tried the obvious:
ranlib /path/to/modules/extra/libextra.a

libextra.a is an archive which contains libphp.a (which was created by the
PHP2 module compile), so I suppose it's possible that the error is actually
in libphp.a.

libextra.a is created by the command "ar cr libextra.a libphp.a" in the
apache compile.  I ran ar --help and found that the s option creates an
index, so I tried ar crs libextra.a libphp.a, but still met with the same
error when I tried running make again.

FWIW, I have ranlib version "GNU ranlib 2.9.5", and I'm running under Yellow
Dog Linux (supported on iMac hardware, which is unfortunately the only box I
can use right now)