It calls a class method statically, although its exact behavior depends on the
scope from which it was called. If called from outside a class, then the method
has no instanciated object, it's just a function.

This is also how you can use work with inheritance in PHP. If you have an
instanciated subclass, you can use parent::blah() to call the inherited (and
overridden) methods.

--

John Donagher
Application Engineer

Public key available off http://www.keyserver.net
Key fingerprint = 4024 DF50 56EE 19A3 258A  D628 22DE AD56 EEBE 8DDD