From: Anna [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 9:37 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] my bugaboo.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Floyd Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Hello and thanks to all for the help on the magic quotes, etc.
> It gives me a better handle on what I'm dealing with.
>
> Except for one more thing.
>
> When I bring back text from a field which contains a ', and try to apply
it as
> the value of an input box, it still truncates in the box.
>
> When I simply print $text, it prints out correctly as *Don't do this* .
> When I make $text the default value of an input box, it shows as *Don*.
>
> If the slash is still in place, it reads *Don\'t* above the box and *Don\*
in
> the box.
>
> My bugaboo continues..  :->
>
> Thanks again for any further advice.
>
> Floyd

That's  a problem with HTML.
example:
<input type='text' name='textName' value='Don't do this'>
Sees the ' in Don't as the signal for the end of the value string.
I haven't come up with an automatic way to deal with this,
but what I have done is in these lines (where there might be an apostrophe)
make sure I use double quotes:
<input type="text" name="textName" value="Don't do this">
or
print "<input type=\"text\" name=\"textName\" value=\"Don't do this\">";

Of course, then you may have the same trouble with double quotes. To avoid
that you can do ereg_replace("\"", "''", $text) -- that is, replace a double
quote with two single quotes? I think, I've never bothered.

Hope this helps somehow.

Anna