I haven't done this in PHP as PHP comes w/ XML support but times past
when I needed a fast way to parse something like that and knew the
format would be simple I'd usually do something like make a function
that knows all the possible splits w/in a layer (ie items are w/in the
faq layer if they can occur inside faq tags) and then just recursively
explode the string parts based on all know tags for that layer and build
a nested array or prehaps nested objects. That is probably the simplist
way if you don't want to mess w/ real parsing.

If you have Unix access you might see if you can use Perl or a helper
app to parse it into an easier to work w/ format.