From: "John Monfort" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>  Is it necessary to include the 'http:' in the DB field?
>
>  It would make your life a lot easier to drop it.
>
>  You would then store the url values as
>     www.mydomain.com
>
>  Then, modify your code to add the 'HTTP' whenever it encounter a URL, or
>  wherever you will create a link.
>
>  This would eliminate the need to deal with special characters...

No it wouldn't, as the http:// is not the problem, the problem is the HTML
markup. What Paul could do is have two DB fields, for the URL and the link
text, and then form the <A> tag at runtime instead of in the data. But this
maybe is not what he wants.

Eg

<?php
    $linkurl = "http://www.blah.com";
    $linktext = "Blah";

    echo "<a href=\"$linkurl\">$linktext</a>";
?>

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Paul Warner wrote:
>
> > Simon-
> >
> > Thanks for the tip...I trued using the htmlspecialchars() which allowed
the
> > remainder of the form to display properly, but left no value in the
> > textarea.  Then I noticed a difference in the method I was using
compared to
> > yours - I'm still learning the ways of PHP so it will take me a while to
> > determine the significance of the syntax differences:
> >
> > Mine: <td width = "60%"><?php echo $linkurl . '<br><textarea
> > value="htmlspecialchars($linkurl)"></textarea></td>\n' ?>
> >
> > Yours: <?php echo "<textarea>" . htmlspecialchars($link) . "</textarea>"
?>

> > I wanted a graphical representation of the present link displayed above
the
> > textarea and then attempted to use php's substitution to build the text
area
> > within the same string.  I updated my code to be more like yours and
arrived
> > at:
> >
> > <?php echo $linkurl . '<br><form>'?><?php echo "<textarea>" .
> > htmlspecialchars($linkurl) . "</textarea>\n"?>
> >
> > which seems to make the parser behave as I intended.
> >
> > Anyway...thanks!
> >
> > -- Paul

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>