What are some methods for persistant user tracking?

I need to limit the number of times a person can  search for certain material without
forcing them to create a login.

Currently I am using cookies to limit the number of searches a person can do  but,
quiting and removing the cookie
file easily defeats that.  Storing their IP address locally would work but then not
everyone has a static ip. Would
grabbing the MAC from their ethernet card be doable? Again alot of people use modems.

Any thoughts or resources you know of?
tks
mitch