From: "Michael Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > Do you mean 10 different database servers, or 10 databases on the one
> > server?
>
> 10 databases on the one server.
>
> > As far as I know, separate databases on the one server give the same
> > performance as separate tables in one database.
>
> Music to my ears.

Well, I'm pretty sure on that, but don't quote me ;-)

If you think about it though, each table is just a set of files in a
directory with the name of the database. It should not be any slower to
access a table in one directory compared to a table in another directory
(unless you split those directories onto separate physical disks or
somesuch - but you could do the same thing using symlinks and one database).

As for implementation in your script, you do not need to reconnect to access
a different database; just do mysql_select_db("dbname") to switch between
the databases. Or use mysql_db_query("dbname", "query").

However, there is probably no point in using 10 different databases - save
yourself some complication and just use one.

> > With separate database servers you will run into new problems such as:
> > -) can't combine data from servers, e.g. can't JOIN tables
>
> OK ... I didn't realise I could join tables across seperate databases.
> Anywhere where joins are necessary, I'm using the one database.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mick

Indeed you can:

7.19 SELECT Syntax
"You can refer to a column as col_name, tbl_name.col_name, or
db_name.tbl_name.col_name."

http://www.mysql.com/doc/S/E/SELECT.html

Cheers

Simon Garner