Can't I change the default value for error type in user_error or trigger_error?

I wanted to echo an error everytime a query failed because of syntax errors
so I'd to something like:

$q="select * from bogustable";
mysql_query($q) or trigger_error(mysql_error()." in ".$q,E_USER_ERROR);
kinda BIG don't u think?

this would do exactly what I need when an query fails cuz of syntax error:
- echoes the error, the query and the line of code
- stop the execution of the script

I NEED all of those, and that E_USER_ERROR in every call is making that
function call get huge. Isn't there a way I can't default it to that
instead of E_USER_NOTICE (which doesn't really help)...