ok your experiencing some very strange errors. I would love to comment on the PHP_SELF
thing, if you want me to I'll email you.

do you have php configured with --trans-sid? is the cookie PHPSESSID being set on the
client? is the SID being transfered on all non-full urls when cookies are not being
used.? a few comments some people may not realize.

sessions with cookies
------------------------
 - will transfer across full urls
 - will transfer acress full form urls
 - will not set SID
 - will not transfer across multiple domainnames

sessions without cookies
------------------------
 - will set SID
 - will transfer across multiple domainnames if the domain name is on the same server
and $SID is manualy appended to the url
 - will transfer across full urls if $SID is appended to the url
 - will transfer across full form urls if $SID is appended to the form url

use code like this and you can fix some of those issues.

<?php

 function mtime()
 {
  $mtime = microtime();
  $mtime = str_replace('.', '', $mtime);
  $mtime = explode(' ', $mtime);
  $mtime = $mtime[1] . $mtime[0];

  return($mtime);
 }

 if ( isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['PHPSESSID']) )
  session_id($HTTP_GET_VARS['PHPSESSID']);
 if ( isset($HTTP_POST_VARS['PHPSESSID']) )
  session_id($HTTP_POST_VARS['PHPSESSID']);

 if (!isset($HTTP_SESSION_VARS['SessionID']))
 {
  $SessionID = mtime();
  session_register('SessionID');
 }

 $PHPSESSID = session_id();
 $SID = "PHPSESSID=$PHPSESSID";

 //----

 echo "
 ";

?>

I amcurious on how this works out

--

 Chris Lee
 Mediawaveonline.com

 ph. 250.377.1095
 ph. 250.376.2690
 fx. 250.554.1120

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

""Robert Fischler, Ph.D. ABD"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
Hello all (first post for me!):

I've been running into problems when testing PHP scripts on Netscape (when
MSIE works fine).

First problem (SOLVED) was that Netscape does something funny with the
$PHP_SELF environmental variable, so I've learned to circumvent the problem
by just hard-coding the page name instead of relying on the $PHP_SELF trick.

Second problem (UNSOLVED, SO FAR) is that Netscape (...and I'm talking about
Communicator 4.75 for the Mac, at least) doesn't carry my session variables
over from page to page.  Has anyone else ran into this problem and found a
solution?

Thanks!!!
P.S.   Things seem to work fine in the new Netscape 6, but most Mac users
are still at 4.75.

--
Robert Fischler, PhD ABD
IUB Campus Manager