On March 7, 2003 08:54 pm, James Taylor wrote:
> Ok, this may have already been posted to the list already, but the
> archives don't seem to like the & and && characters.
>
> I'm running into some code that looks like this:
>
> <snip>
> Define('INPUT', 2);
> <snip>
> if($search->level & INPUT) $tmp.= $search->input();
>

> Ok, what's the & mean?
>
> As far as I could tell from the very little documentation I was
> able to scrape up on google, & is a bit-by-bit operator.  Thus, if
> either INPUT or $search->level, we get TRUE... If that's the case,
> what's the point of using it instead of || ?
>
> Or, do I just totally not understand the point of this.  Thanks

Ok shoot me if I'm wrong here I just vaguely recall this from some
Java course I took.   I think && and & are identical except that if
you use &, PHP will not short circuit the expression.
like:

$x = 0;
if(false && $x++)
        print "impossible";
print $x;   // should print 0

$x = 0;
if(false & $x++)
        print "impossible";
print $x;   // should print 1

Warning: This may only work for Java or maybe I just can't remember it
properly..

leo