On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 05:21, Rahul.Brenda wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> Your program certainly makes very good sense to me.

I have written an extension of the idea available at

http://nikmakepeace.com/goodies/abbreviate.phps

It takes 5 arguments:
        string to be abbreviated,
        length in characters to abbreviate to
                (-ve values mean reduce string by this many chars)
        place you want to abbreviate at (end, start or middle),
        string used to abbreviate (included in the total length)
                (default is "..." html entity)
        whether to enclose the abbreviation in the <abbr> element
                (title includes the whole string for mouseover)

I hope you or anyone else likes it. Maybe some day I'll actually do some
proper work instead of writing silly utilities.

Nik