John's solution is the better one. But if you really wish to stick to your own, try and use eval() to complile $where$i.

Edwin

John W. Holmes wrote:
I have:

   if ($where1 != '')
   {
   $whereArray = array_push($whereArray, $where1);
   }

and I want to repeat for $where1 up to $where8

but rather than write it out 8 times, I'd rather use a loop

for ($i=1; $i<=8 i++)
{
   if ($where1 != '')
   {
   $whereArray = array_push($whereArray, $where1);

but how can I change $where1 to $where2, $where3 etc using $i.
nothing I try seems to work. Do I use eval?

Yes, you can use variable variables, like others have suggested, but why
not just use an array? Almost every implementation of variable-variables
seems to be a work around that's used instead of arrays.

Where are all of your $where variables coming from? If they are from a
form, just name them as "where[]", then simply loop through them using
foreach($_POST['where']) and check them all. This makes your code more
dynamic as you can add/subtract "where[]" elements and your "processing"
code doesn't change. With a variable-variable solution, you have to
change the number of loops you run each time to change the number of
"where" elements you have.

---John Holmes...