Thanks ... one more thing:  is there  a way to modify this to allow a period
(dot) to included, as well as the alha and num characters?

once again, thanks.

function make_alphanum($string_val) {
    return eregi_replace("[^[:alnum:]]", "", $string_val);
}
strips everything except ALPHA and NUM Chars

Joel

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]