On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 12:59:19 -0800, you wrote:

>Yes I know but my aim is to make a php script which checks automaticly
>if the php and the shell functions I need are available.

If you look at the output of phpinfo() you'll see a whole bunch of
variables that are set differently depending on the OS (eg
SERVER_SOFTWARE, SystemRoot, _SERVER), although personally I would set
the name of the current OS in a configuration file. Less room for error
that way.

To discover whether an application exists, use system() to call it and
check the return value provided by the OS. I think you'll find it
returns FALSE on failure.