>Actually I didn't.  ;-)

>$GLOBALS[$key] is incorrect and depricated AFAIK.
>$GLOBALS['$key'] (with the single quotes) is the proper way to write these

Wouldn't it need to be $GLOBALS["$key"] because single quotes tell the
parser not to expand variables? I think you are misinterpreting the part of
the manual that says "You should always use quotes around an associative
array index."  Even though a variable may contain a string it is not a
string and therefore does not need quoting because there is not danger of it
being interpreted as a constant.  Look at the manual page on arrays, it
shows arrays with variable indices without quotes.
http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.types.array.php