"Jerry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hi All,
> I have a CGI application written in Delphi web services and I want to port
> it to the Linux environment. I was going to use Kylix but I'm concerned
that
> Borland isn't keeping up with the fast paced Linux development (ie they
are
> still on Redhat 7.2 and Redhat is about to release version 9.0 next
month).

I believe that Kylix 3 runs well under Red Hat 8, and 9 isn't supposed to be
a major leap over 8, from what I gather.

> The current CGI is a little complicated and relies heavily on OOP data
> structures. It processes the data then sends a stream to the web server
for
> display in the browser. It's very fast and I am happy with the performace,
> but I must port it over to Linux.
>
> As I am very unfamiliar with the PHP environment, can someone point in the
> right direction? If I use PHP for the front-end, what is the best tool to
> create the CGI? I was considering using Python, but would Pearl be better?

Try the Kylix possibility first, since you have the portable code already.
I wouldn't assume from the outset that Kylix isn't "catching up" with Linux
releases.  On top of that, you don't have to upgrade Linux just because Red
Hat puts out a new release.

Steve