I can't get mysql_num_rows to work for some reason. Here is a snippet of what I have

$department_name = $_POST['department_name'];

$select_query = "SELECT * WHERE department_name = '$department_name'";
$select_result = mysql_query($select_query, $db_connect);
$select_total_rows = mysql_num_rows($select_result);

if ($select_total_rows<1)
{
        $insert_query = " insert into departments (department_name)

 values

('$department_name')";

        mysql_query($insert_query, $db_connect) or die (mysql_error());

I am getting back an error mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource. I have looked over it again and again, and can't see what is wrong. Can anyone else see where the problem might be?

Mike