Presumably you know the HTTPS port on your server.  Anything not SSL is
going to be straight HTTP.  The point here is that SSL happens a layer
below PHP.  PHP doesn't care whether it is running over SSL or not.  In
fact it has no idea what transport layer is below it.  So your only way to
tell is to depend on whatever the web server tells you.  Look at a
phpinfo() for both an SSL and a non-SSL request and see what the
differences are on your server.  For me, checking SERVER_PORT has been the
most portable/reliable mechanism.

-Rasmus