I did figure a way around heredoc last night. Here's the solution if anyone
can use it:

<?php
    $truth = true;
    $head = "brain bucket";
$message = <<<TEST
This is a test of the emergency broadcasting system.
If this had been an actual emergency, you would have
been instructed to
TEST;

    if ($truth)
    {
        $message .= " place your {$head} between your legs and\n";
    }

$message .= <<<TEST
read from the chapters of Matthew, Mark, Luke
and DUCK!!
TEST;

    print $message;
?>
$message is actually works in heredoc just like any other string. Didn't
expect that.
Hope this helps someone else who is trying the same thing as I am.

Robin E. Kopetzky
Black Mesa Computers/Internet Services
www.blackmesa-isp.net