"limiter" is the maximum number of limbs, not the max random number. A limb,
according to the GMP documentation, is " the part of a multi-precision number
that fits in a single word. (We chose this word because a limb of the human
body is analogous to a digit, only larger, and containing several digits.)
Normally a limb contains 32 or 64 bits."

There's a comment on php.net/gmp_random about this

--

The people are the only sure reliance for preservation of our liberty.

-Thomas Jefferson