php-general Digest 13 Jun 2003 17:39:40 -0000 Issue 2115

Topics (messages 151331 through 151385):

Re: Gettnig PHP code out of a DB?
        151331 by: Ignatius Teo
        151332 by: Ben Houlton
        151333 by: Leif K-Brooks

Re: How do I capture a POST responce
        151334 by: Ralph

Re: $_SESSION as $key=>$value
        151335 by: Ralph

Re: 4.3.2 -- does connection_status() actually work?
        151336 by: Per Jessen
        151337 by: Per Jessen

Re: Zend Optimizer not active?
        151338 by: Marek Kilimajer

re : ldap problem
        151339 by: chandrakant Reddy

Re: How to find if a string is an integer?
        151340 by: Ford, Mike               [LSS]
        151346 by: António Rafael Paiva

Re: make a variable not exist?
        151341 by: Ford, Mike               [LSS]

Re: POST detection
        151342 by: Ford, Mike               [LSS]

XML
        151343 by: Diana Castillo

PHP Priter Functions
        151344 by: Stephen Goddard

Re: General question...
        151345 by: Valentin
        151382 by: Ralph

Some error
        151347 by: Birgir Ţór Halldórsson

Setting Return-Path header for mail() on Linux
        151348 by: Tom Woody

regarding <?php ?> tags
        151349 by: Ulrik NIelsen
        151351 by: PHP4 Emailer
        151352 by: Ford, Mike               [LSS]
        151356 by: Ulrik NIelsen
        151363 by: Wim Paulussen

Re: mail() function & exchange
        151350 by: Manuel Lemos

PHP crashes when using gd with true type fonts.
        151353 by: Branko F. Gračnar

slow mail()
        151354 by: Marko
        151355 by: Miles Thompson

dealiong with quote's in SQL strings
        151357 by: Petre Agenbag
        151358 by: Awlad Hussain
        151359 by: Petre Agenbag
        151360 by: CPT John W. Holmes
        151362 by: Petre Agenbag
        151365 by: Marek Kilimajer

fgets() problem
        151361 by: Armand Turpel
        151366 by: Marek Kilimajer

Variable variables question?
        151364 by: Douglas Douglas

shopping cart and login system
        151367 by: electroteque

Access violation for an EXE file
        151368 by: Ferhat BINGOL
        151369 by: Ferhat BINGOL

Redirects in PHP
        151370 by: Carl Furst
        151372 by: Wendell Brown
        151374 by: Johnny Martinez
        151375 by: chris sherwood
        151376 by: Michael
        151377 by: Kevin Stone
        151378 by: Zak Johnson
        151379 by: Wendell Brown
        151380 by: Kevin Stone
        151381 by: DvDmanDT
        151383 by: Michael
        151384 by: Zak Johnson
        151385 by: Michael

failed to delete buffer default output handler
        151371 by: Shawn McKenzie

It´s a test!!
        151373 by: Felipe Desiderati

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On 2003-06-13 10:54-0600, Kevin Stone wrote:
> Carl, you can avoid these issues by using output buffering allowing you to
> call header() whever you want in your script.

This will not solve the OP's problem; the header will still be output
first, and the client will be immediately redirected.  I am curious
though; why is everyone suggesting to use JavaScript when the following
in the <head> section of the HTML document will work just as well?

    content="3;URL=http://example.com/new-page.html"; />

Am I missing something?

-Zak

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:54:39 -0600, Kevin Stone wrote:

>Javascript.. bah humbug.  :)
>
>Carl, you can avoid these issues by using output buffering allowing you to
>call header() whever you want in your script.

But he doesn't get to see the printed info - so it's basically the same
difference.  I think either JavaScipt is probably the solution

I have also found reference to the following:

www.example.com/somepage.html">

It is supposed to do what is wanted but it's not W3C standard.

> On 2003-06-13 10:54-0600, Kevin Stone wrote:
> > Carl, you can avoid these issues by using output buffering allowing you
> > call header() whever you want in your script.
>
> This will not solve the OP's problem; the header will still be output
> first, and the client will be immediately redirected.  I am curious
> though; why is everyone suggesting to use JavaScript when the following
> in the <head> section of the HTML document will work just as well?

>     content="3;URL=http://example.com/new-page.html"; />
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> -Zak

Oh you're right I didn't read the original post.  You can still use the OB
method and redirect to an HTML page containing the "sorry we're not here,
we're redirecting you to the right location" message and meta refresh
without goofing up the output in the original script.  It's a straight
forward and clean transition.

- Kevin

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
It's like a meta tag...<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="5;url=FILE.PHP">
JavaScript version:
<script language="javascript">
function deelay(secs)
{
setTimeout("goto_url()",secs*1000)
}
function goto_url()
{
location.href="FILE.PHP"
}
</script>
"Carl Furst" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I want to do one of those redirect pages where a php script prints HTML
> saying "sorry we're not here, we're redirecting you to the right location"
> and then after about 2-3 seconds a new location header gets printed and
you
> are transported to the new location. I see this everywhere but don't know
> how it's done.
>
> I tried this by printing the "Location" header first and then the text and
> it just
> relocated me without seeing the text. I tried printing the text first and
> then the "Location" header and php complains that my header was already
sent
> and I
> can't modify it to relocate.
>
> How do you do this?? Is there something in the header I have to specify to
> wait before it relocates? Do I have to do it manually by printing the
text..
> tell the script to wait and then clear the header somehow and send a new
one
> (can that be done?) I looked at HTTP1.1 docs and I didn't really get
> anywhere.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Carl.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Search engines frown on using meta refresh because of
abuse problems.   Some engines won't index the page
period and all of them penalize you at the very least.
While it will work as you described, you're sacrificing
search engine positioning to use it.  You need to weigh
the trade-offs

Michael

On 2003-06-13 10:34-0600, Michael wrote:
> Search engines frown on using meta refresh because of
> abuse problems.   Some engines won't index the page
> period and all of them penalize you at the very least.
> While it will work as you described, you're sacrificing
> search engine positioning to use it.

How many search engines do you know of that will parse and follow the
JavaScript location.href redirection suggested earlier?

-Zak

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
You're absolutely right.  Thus, the need for a server-side
redirect.  You can use meta refresh as long as the time is
set to around 10 seconds without being penalized.  I
guess you could include a message that you are going to
be transferred in 10 seconds, then provide a link for the
impatient types, like myself, to get there quicker.

michael

On Friday 13 June 2003 11:30 am, Zak Johnson wrote:
> On 2003-06-13 10:34-0600, Michael wrote:
> > Search engines frown on using meta refresh because of
> > abuse problems.   Some engines won't index the page
> > period and all of them penalize you at the very least.
> > While it will work as you described, you're sacrificing
> > search engine positioning to use it.
>
> How many search engines do you know of that will parse and follow the
> JavaScript location.href redirection suggested earlier?
>
> -Zak

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
echo ob_get_level(); returns 1

but the next line:

ob_end_clean(); returns

Notice: ob_end_clean() [ref.outcontrol]: failed to delete buffer default
output handler.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Shawn