I'm trying to add a variable to the end of a directory listing.

This will give me the root directory and show me all the files
        exec('ls /home/httpd/vhosts/sitename.com/httpdocs/resumes/',
$filelist);

I figured I could do this but it shows me all the files in the root of the
site not of the folder I want. So what it seems is that it is ignoring the
$path variable all together.
       $folder = $HTTP_GET_VARS['id'];
       $path = "/home/httpd/vhosts/sitename.com/httpdocs/resumes/$folder/";
        exec('ls $path', $filelist);

I've even tried to add echo but then nothing at all is listed:
        exec('ls <? echo $path; ?>', $filelist);

Any ideas?