we are dropping to a perl script to process transactions, occasionally the
remote server the perl script interacts with becomes bogged, the transaction
goes into limbo, or for whatever reason the processing of that transaction hangs
(happening about 0.2% of the time).

Is there a way to time and timeout the exec statement... just assume it has
failed, ditch the execution, and handle the failed transaction after X seconds?

The alternative we have is to run the exec and redirect the return results to
another script so that no single exec would graing the whole master php script
to a halt.

thoughts?

Dave