I use a script like this, place it in cron, run it once a day to search the db and
email the nescisary people the reminders they request.

--

 Chris Lee
 Mediawaveonline.com

 ph. 250.377.1095
 ph. 250.376.2690
 fx. 250.554.1120

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

""John Huggins"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
002201c0a8ce$d57e08b0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:002201c0a8ce$d57e08b0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Hi all.
>
> Can I use PHP as a shell script, like bash? Or this is inviable,
> impossible
> and/or out of question?

It is viable and works great.  You must have a php binary somewhere from a
default installation of PHP.  Usually, this binary is found somewhere like
/usr/local/bin/php.

Then make a file.

#!/usr/local/bin/php -q
<?
print("Hello World\n");
?>

Then chmod it so it is executable like so.

chmod 755 thefilename

It works for me.  This is a very convenient way to obtain access to
databases from shell scripts.

Good luck.

John