    J> What tools do you recommend or use for a team environment that
    J> will allow us to maintain source control and even offer some
    J> version tracking/history in case we need to go back to old
    J> code?

All of the responses I saw recommended the same tool: CVS.  There is
another one which I might be tempted to use depending on the size of
the project: SVN.

here's the project page:
       http://subversion.tigris.org/

and here is some excellent documentation:
    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

--
no toll on the internet; there are paths of many kinds;
whoever passes this portal will travel freely in the world