This could be an Apache issues, not really sure.

I'm trying to output a php doc as text/css using
<?php header( "Content-type: text/css" ); ?>
But no matter what I do, changing it in the document, adding/altering
apache mime types, all I get is text/html.

The reason is I'm trying to use @import url('xx.css.php') and Mozilla
seems to be very unhappy with this, it will not recognize that as a css
file, IE and Opera are fine with it. The developers say its because Moz
does not make assumptions about mime types, whatever, and I need to set
the mime type explicitly for php files from within the script however
<?php header( "Content-type: text/css" ); ?> seems to have no effect.