> >     Note that the bundled library code was removed due to being
> >     unmaintained.  The old bundled library code was in the public
> >     domain and thus not subject to the GPL.  Only the MySQL 4
> >     library is GPLed; the MySQL 3 library is not.
> >
> >     It is unfortunate that some people try to confuse the public
> >     about this topic.

Well, in this particular case, the confusion may not be incorrect. (So
to speak.)

> Many people think that all Open Source software has a GPL license. I
> guess it is that old Lenine say, if you repeat the same lie many times,
> it becomes the truth, that today is known as propaganda. Credits for
> this "Open Source lie" should go to RMS.

I'd lay the blame elsewhere.

Stallman's writings are fairly direct and concise. He has helped clarify
the semantics of "free", and he has contrasted the sort of freedom he
expounds with other concepts of freedom and openness. Whether you agree
with him or not, his arguments and ideas are useful in both intellectual
and business senses.

You don't have to agree with people to learn from them, and you don't
even have to agree with people to let them do their work, in general.

The FUD comes from other sources.

> Anyway, MySQL 3 library seems to work perfectly to connect to MySQL 4
> servers. What are MySQL 4 client library advantages?

It's the maintenance issue.

> Anyone thought of keep the bundle of MySQL 3 library? Was there a
> problem, or is this unbundling initiative a sort of protest to make
> MySQL AB reconsider MySQL 4 client library licensing?

There was a long thread (more than one, in fact) on this subject on the
postgresql list(s), which referenced a thread on the php-dev list:

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postgresql-general&m=105631920423234&w=2
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-dev&m=105621207500778&w=2

Of course, the issue of the license the driver falls under is mostly one
of convenience, at least for the application programmer and end-user, I
think. It doesn't really alter the legal status of most projects using
MySQL and PHP (when the parts are assembled correctly), nor does it
alter the moral/enlightened-self-interest obligations to pass some of
the action back to the producers of free/open tools that help one make
money.

For MySQL AB, it will likely mean taking a slip in market share, since
they lose their "favored" status in the PHP community. From what I've
seen, Monty's a fairly sharp guy. For all I know, this may be a
deliberate move to level the playing field and let the free/open source
community get a broader view of some of the alternatives to the DB
software sold by the primary source of the FUD.

(my JPY 2)

--
Joel Rees, programmer, Kansai Systems Group
Altech Corporation (Alpsgiken), Osaka, Japan