On 30 Jun 2003 at 22:34, Derick Rethans wrote:

> > I disagree with you Derick. In many (most? all?) programs, the
> > reply- all function will send an email back to the list **and** one
> > to the author. This wastes bandwidth needlessly, in my opinion. I
> > receive the messages to the list and do not need to receive a
> > message sent directly to me.
>
> You have procmail for that. There is some very good explanation for
> this, see
> http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/faq/maillist.html#munge_reply-to

First, Derick, not everyone has access to procmail. In fact, most
folk **do not** have access to procmail.

Second, I still think it antithetical to the whole idea of a public
mailing list to set the reply-to default to anything other than the
mailing list. Since I see no evil coming out of this, nor any misuse,
I fail to see the problem. As the owner of a mailing list, I am quite
familiar with the webpage you referenced; to my mind, it doesn't make
any valid arguments.

Having said this, I suspect that you and I will continue to disagree,
which is perfectly okay. If this list changes the default I will be
happy. If it doesn't, I will learn to adjust. One request I make is
that folk, including you, Derick, refrain from sending replies to my
email to both the list *and* my personal inbox. There's no need to
waste the bandwidth.

Doug