I went over what you commented on - thanks for the input.  Most everything
did indeed stay.  This is what I get when going a make install now:

Installing PHP CLI binary:        /usr/local/bin/
Installing PHP CLI man page:      /usr/local/man/man1/
Installing PHP SAPI module
[activating module `php4' in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf]
cp libs/libphp4.so /usr/lib/apache/libphp4.so
cp: cannot stat `libs/libphp4.so': No such file or directory
apxs:Break: Command failed with rc=1
make: *** [install-sapi] Error 1

BTW, this all stems from another admin on the server wanting to upgrade
apache to 1.3.27 - when that was done, my php written in my scripts started
failing.  It doesn't even work now.  Whenever I have a script that passes a
value (example: a link going to somewhere.php?w=4), it does not process at
all (nothing happens - so w doesn't do anything).  Everything worked fine
until this started.......

My config file I am using is now:

./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --with-gd --with-mysql --with-png --w
ith-pear --with-config-file-path=/usr/local/apache  --with-zlib --with-jpeg
--with-ttf --with-regex=php --with-db --with-gdbm --enable-mbstring --enable
-mm=shared --enable-xml --with-db3 --with-pgsql=shared --with-ldap

Thanks for any help,

-Mike