There is the internals mailing list that is for the developers of php,
they can answer most questions about the internal workings of php.

I would suggest reviewing the code in cvs to see how they are doing the
c programming for modules. I figure that if you review those extensions
then u should get a better grasp on how it all comes together.

--
bigdog