--- Steve Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As part of a CMS I wanted to get the user to:
> 1) Create a new recordset via a form (with a uniqueid).
> 2) Press submit whereupon php gets the ID of the record just
> created in
> the DB, writes a new page to the server with that unique id and
> saves it
> as a filename determined by the user.
>
> No way around that due to permission settings on the webroot?
>
> So there is no way that PHP can write to the server unless the
> directory
> it's writing in is executable?

That is correct. According to the docs, if the directory is not
executable, you can't even get the permissions on the files in it.
I'm confused, though.

Let me state at the begining that I'm not a linux guy. Learning, but
slowly.

-Doesn't PHP run as some user?

-Is the issue giving that user execute permissions in the web root?

-Why the concern about letting that user have execute permissions,
and then prevent anyone (execpt those that have valid reasons) from
having write/execute permission to the webroot.

Am I missing something basic? Quite possibly...

=====
Mark Weinstock
[EMAIL PROTECTED]