As long as you are stretching the discussion to shareware, I highly
recommend UltraEdit. This is the most feature-loaded extensible text
editor I've ever seen. The $30 registration was more than worth it. It
has add-on support for syntax highlighting for 100+ languages
including PHP.

http://www.ultraedit.com

Doug