yes, that is what "CPT John W. Holmes" suggested.  I will do that.
In the meantime, I'm going to join the w3c mailing list.

thank you.

Justin French wrote:

Whilst I have not tested this on multiple platforms/browsers, I believe if you only specify one (the width for example), the browser will proportionately sace the height.

The is useful with a fixed width OR height area, but does not solve a scenario where there are height AND width contraints.

But you could work it out pretty easily with getimagesize and some ratio calculations... wrap it up in a function pretty easily :)

http://au.php.net/manual/en/function.getimagesize.php

In fact, there are some functions and notes in the user-contributed section of the above URL that do this for you :)

Justin