Hi,

This may soon depend on what Cellco you are sending from/to in the UK. They
used to pass on messages between themselves for no cost but I understand
that they are going to change over to charging each other per message. This
may effect their own free email gateways but it certainly will effect the
'independent' ones.

If you want to use an SMSC to do this rather than via an email gateway, and
you don't want to set up a link to a real SMSC, you could always use a
mobile phone with an 'AT' modem interface (eg, Nokia 7110, 6210) or a GSM
modem (a bit more expensive but dedicated to the task) as a virtual SMSC and
link the software into that to send the SMS messages for you. There are a
few SMS gateways around that will do that - quite a few are free. One
example is 'Kannel' - its a WAP and SMS gateway. A nice thing about that one
is that you can recieve SMS messages and have them be processed via PHP
scripts - to process, respond etc.

""Valter Santos"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
Hi!

Instead of send a direct SMS to a SMSCenter you can send the
message as an standard email... Many Cellcos allow that, and it
will be cheaper to you (no cost!!!)....

Here in Portugal we can do it... we just use the MSISDN (phone number)
from who we want to send and sms and append the cellco mail server...

As an example, to send a SMS to me, you can send a email to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

this, probably will work... the mail user alias is my phone number and
the server domain is the Cellco' mail server
~

hope this help

Valter Santos
WEB/WAP Consultant