On Friday 18 July 2003 02:42 pm, Chris Shiflett wrote:
> --- "Reuben D. Budiardja" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Suppose I have a long string like
> > $myStr = "$string1:$string2:$string3";
> >
> > I can obviously explode them using ":" as the separator. But what if
> > $string1 contains the character ":" by itself?
>
> You should strive to make your delimiter unique. A delimiter that might
> possibly appear within the items it is meant to delimit is no longer a
> delimiter.

I did strive for that. But whatever character I choose, the problem remains
that we can't guarantee that it's going ot be only used as deliminater, since
the deliminated string is an input from user. So the problem remains.

RDB

/"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign against HTML
\ /  email and proprietary format
 X   attachments.