Depending on exactly how you intend to use this technology there are
several ways to go about it. One is to create a PHP C extension that you
compile into the PHP engine itself -- this I imagine can hook into the
API to control the open application. Then you can choose to use these
new extension functions in either a shell script to control the winamp
program from the current computer (or shell-script on a remote computer
that you SSH or telnet into), or you can create a PHP-based Web front
end to control the winamp application. The other alternative, is to just
have the PHP script call existing programs than can access the API on
the OS via the backtick or system(), etc... functions (this solution was
mentioned below :). It might even be possible that Winamp itself
provides hooks to a running instance of itself via command line
parameters (one can hope) which would simplify the task greatly.

Cheers,
Rob.

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 23:40, Diego Fulgueira wrote:
> Look, i don't know if you already received a reply for your message, but i
> can tell you i know a lot about PHP and i have absolutely no idea how to do
> this.
>
> I will just remind you that PHP is intended to be used as a server to client
> technology and that it might have some indirect interaction with winamp, but
> only on the server.
>
> What you need is a lower level techonolgy. To do this, i would try to
> approach the problem with C/C++ or VisualBasic and then build an interface
> to make it work from PHP. But this would be kinda messy.
>
> Good luck. I really hope you don't give up on this, because i think noone
> has ever done anything like it, and is always good to know that we people on
> this mailing list, are each day more powerful.
>
> CHEERS.
> Diego.

| Worlds of Carnage - http://www.wocmud.org   |
| Come visit a world of myth and legend where |
| fantastical creatures come to life and the  |
| stuff of nightmares grasp for your soul.    |