From: "James Rodenkirch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 6:27 PM
Subject: [PHP] Re: need help with MySQL full text searching!!!!

> You need to use mysql 4.0.10-gamma for full text searching to work
>
> Angelo Zanetti wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a table which contains 3 fields (ID, Title, Abstract) the title
and abstract fields have been fulltext indexes like this:

> > ALTER TABLE biblio ADD FULLTEXT (title,abstract);
> >
> > that worked fine, however my problem is whenever I want to do a select
statement only comparing 1 of the columns to inputted data ( in a Select
statement):

> > $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM Biblio WHERE MATCH (title) AGAINST
('$searchString')");

> > It gives me this error: Can't find FULLTEXT index matching the column
list. It appears that i cant just compare a single fulltext indexed column
if there are other fulltext indexed columns. When I try it with both columns
then it works but I just want to compare 1 column. eg:
> > $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM Biblio WHERE MATCH (title,
abstract) AGAINST ('$searchString')");

> > So is there anyway that I can just compare 1 column with text entered?
Do I have t make some sort of temporary table to do this? All the examples I
have found show the select statement with 2 columns or if they use 1 coumn
its because there is only 1 column in their table.