Here is a snippet from the header file.  You can see that I am just trying
to determine what the value of the subnav variable is set to in order to
determine which navigational link is bold.  There are other places the
variable is used, but you can get an idea based on what is below.  Thanks
for any help.

<-----incHeader.php------>

<head>
<title>[Site Name]</title>
</head>
            <? if($subnav = "home"){ ?><b><? }?><a
href="index.php">home</a><? if($subnav = "home"){ ?><b><? }?>

<-----incHeader.php------>

"Jay Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[snip]
<?php
 $subnav = "home";
 include("incHeader.php");
?>

<!--- CONTENT AREA --->

The content would go here.

<!--- END CONTENT AREA --->

<?php include ("incFooter.php"); ?>

Now, when I try to reference the subnav variable in the inHeader.php or
incFooter.php files, it comes up blank.  I am basically trying to adjust
the
navigation on each page depending on the page I am on.  I am just
learning
PHP, have programmed in ColdFusion for years and in ColdFusion this was
not
a problem.  Any ideas?
[/snip]

Can we see the incHeader.php and the incFooter.php code?