* Thus wrote Jason Williard ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> I would like to create a script that reads a file name that follows a
> specific format and have it parsed into 2 variables.  The format is as
> follows:
>
> cli_info-ACCOUNT-USERNAME.dat
>
> The two variables that I would like to get out of this are the ACCOUNT and
> USERNAME.  The rest of the information can be discarded.  I can get the
> entire filename into a variable, but I am not sure how to parse it properly.

One method would be to use the preg_split():

list($extra, $account, $username) =
    split('/[-.]/', 'cli_info-ACCOUNT-USERNAME.dat', 3);

or a a preg_match():

preg_match('/cli_info-([^-]+)-([^.]+)\.dat/', $str, $matches);
$account = $matches[1];
$username = $matches[2];

This is assumint that account wont contain a '-' and username wont
contain a '.'.

HTH,

Curt
--
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."