[snip]
Unsure.  How would I do that?
[/snip]

Ben I think that we have a communications failure. Let's start
over...you wish to total a database column using php, correct?
Everything that you have been shown so far will do that. Is it possible
that there are no query results? If not, then we are doing the query
wrong. Try it with single quotes;

$sql_2 = "SELECT paidamount FROM $tb_name WHERE id = '" . $id . "' ";

Please do a verbose check on the query to see if it is working properly

if(!($result_2 = mysql_query($sql_2, $connection))){
   print("MySQL reports: " . mysql_error() . "\n");
   exit();
}

Let's use objects instead of arrays (humor me for a moment)

while($row = mysql_fetch_object($result_2)){
        $paid = $row->paidamount;
        echo "$paid \n";
        $total = $total + paid;
}

echo "$total \n";

Please copy and paste the results into your reply