--- Tim Thorburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If your Windows Server blows up - you dial a very expensive
> Microsoft number to get help. If your Linux server running
> some manner of PHP script blows up, you send out countless
> emails to mailing lists hoping someone out there in the open
> source community has had to deal with something similar to
> what you're doing now.

That's a fair comparison, I suppose, and it's probably why I prefer open source
in general. I prefer shops where people take responsibility for their own work;
they're less likely to have the political culture that is counterproductive to
the creative thinkers and developers who like to get things accomplished rather
than worry about who to blame (if you plan to fail, you will). Of course, there
are exceptions both ways, but I'll go with the odds.

However, my point was that the original poster was speaking about an
educational institute, so they should be teaching the students to be the expert
who answers the Microsoft phone number or the Unix developer who never has to
call.

Chris

=====
Become a better Web developer with the HTTP Developer's Handbook
http://httphandbook.org/