"Analysis & Solutions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hey Matt:
>
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:07:10AM -0700, Matt Daleo wrote:
> > I'm attempting to read a remote file and parse it for data. The problem
I've
> > having is that the file seems to be generated by Perl
> > (http://alert.dot.pima.gov/scripts/1brpssd.pl) and when I read it the
> > script-generated portion is not available. When I view the page with a
> > browser it is displayed just fine.
>
> Sounds like their CGI is snooping which browser you're using.  If you're
> opening the file via http, then the server should send you everything a
> browser would see.
>
> But, do note, that web page is wacked out.  I just took a look at it in
> Mozilla and while the HTML downloaded, it wouldn't render.  So, they seem
> to not quite know what they're doing.  Then, going up to
> http://alert.dot.pima.gov/ produced a JavaScript redirect, so they REALLY
> don't know what they're doing.
>
> --Dan
>
> --
>      FREE scripts that make web and database programming easier
>            http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/software/
>  T H E   A N A L Y S I S   A N D   S O L U T I O N S   C O M P A N Y
>  4015 7th Ave #4AJ, Brooklyn NY    v: 718-854-0335   f: 718-854-0409

I've discovered another odd characteristic of this site that might help
determine the problem. When you go directly to that page there is no data.
Not with cURL, not with fopen, not even with IE or Mozilla. If you go in
through the main page, then go to the data page it works fine.(Start at
http://alert.dot.pima.gov/scripts/Pima.pl, click on the map, click on the
"Group Hourly..." link.) Is it possible that they are using sessions or
something? Is there a way to look at the headers to find out? This might
also help determine if it's checking for a particular browser.

Thanks.