Hi Jeff,

Nachricht vom Montag, 18. August 2003, 18:14:37:

> I've come across this frustrating behavior with the XML parser when it
> reads an escaped ampersand (&)

> If the xml being evaluated is:   <COLORS>Blue, Green &amp; Red</COLORS>

> it calls the character data handler 3 times:
> the first time the $data is "Blue, Green "
> the second time is "&"
> and the third time is " Red"

> Needless to say this is screwing up my parser, and the stuff I'm
> doing won't make it easy to add this allowance.  I'm hoping
> somebody can point out a way to turn off this behavior.  If this is
> the proper operation, is it documented anywhere? I've been unable to
> find it.

xml is a www.w3c.org recomendation.
Its documented at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#syntax states:

"The ampersand character (&) and the left angle bracket (<) may appear
in their literal form only when used as markup delimiters, or within a
comment, a processing instruction, or a CDATA section. If they are
needed elsewhere, they must be escaped using either numeric character
references or the strings "&amp;" and "&lt;" respectively."

HTH

 Timo