Hello David,
looks like a bit of a tough one :-) guess you might be better off trying one of the qmail groups instead of this one. Sorry my own qmail expertise isn't as good as it should be.

best regards
raditha

David T-G wrote:

jabber, et al --

...and then [EMAIL PROTECTED] said...
% % Hello,

Hi!

% % I recall someone (pardone me i don't save list mails) pointing out that % the delay could actually be in generating the message rather than in the

Yep. Nope.

% sending. You are sending a customized message to each user aren't you?

Yep.

% Would you be creating this message from what's in a mysql database or % something like that?

My message generation runs through about 800 messages in a bit under
three seconds.  While that may or may not be fantastic or efficient,
it's a couple of orders of magnitude faster than the mail injection :-)

% % Have you tried running your php script from the command line instead of

Actually, this has always been a CLI script.  Those interested can see it
at

http://killswitcharmy.com/Q/massmail-send-script.php.txt

as long as you promise not to laugh at all of the debugging and other
crap that's in there at the moment :-)

I've managed to pin it down to the qmail injection process, though I
haven't gotten farther enough to know whether it's a qmail config issue
or an overall OS issue.  It isn't php's fault :-)  Using mail() takes
an extra 70ms over just a system call to qmail-inject directly, so I'll
stick with the latter, but a drop from ~0.54 sec to ~0.47 sec isn't
nearly as far as I need to go (I need total time to be about 100ms at
the most and would love to see 60 *total* so that I can get out some 60k
messages in an hour).

% the web space? It could be that your httpd.conf has some processor and % memory usage restrictions imposed. I once worked on a server on which it % was impossible to send mail from cgi script. the apache configurations % turned out to be the culprit.

Heh :-)

% % all the best

Thanks & HAND

:-D