[snip]
I wish to use fwrite() to create a small PHP file. So far, when I
attempt
to do this, php parses the contents of the file that fwrite needs to
create. Eg, I have this:
[/snip]

Vince I did this

<?php
/*
** Write PHP with PHP
** 2003-09-05
*/

$newphp = fopen("/usr/server/test/new_php.php", "w");

fputs($newphp, "<?php\n");
fputs($newphp, "This is a PHP by PHP writing test.\n");
fputs($newphp, "?>\n");

fclose($newphp);
?>

And it worked fine. fputs() places the string in the file properly. I
also noticed at the end of your script....

write($new_file, $new_file_content);

Since I saw no write() function in your script I would have to assume
that you are calling an undefined function, which is probably where your
errors are coming from. Try changing the line to

fputs($new_file, $new_file_content);

And you should have much luck. Have a pleasant, productive and
meaningful day.