On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 07:53:12 -0400
"Chris Mach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Why does it put a space in there?  <br />
>
> It's screwing up my other script which displays just the first 50
> words of the news article by exploding each word into an array. So
> /> is showing up after each break.

The reason for the space is to comply with XHTML standards.  The
XHTML declares that all tags "must be properly nested, an end tag
closes, back to the matching start tag, all unclosed intervening
start tags with omitted end tags".

All empty elements must use the XML "empty tag" syntax with a
trailing forward slash ("/") before the end bracket (eg. <br>
becomes <br />). Note the space after the element text and the />.
This is for compatibility with current browsers.

--
Raquel