in the past people have talked about doing this in a few different ways.

1.  Have an image that javascript refreshes the url on and when doing so
calls
    to a php script that checks to see if anything is newer then the last
time
    that it checked. And if something has ben updated then have the php
script
    pass back an image that is a different size (height or width) then what
the
    image was be for.  Then if the size of the image return is something
other
    then what you expect, then you can assume that it the data has been
changed
    and you need to refresh the entire page.

2.  You could use a hidden IFRAME to do the checking.

3.  You could write an app in Flash the opens a port to the server and does
all
    the same checking the option #1 would be doing.

4.  not sure, but I'm sure that others will have different options.

Jim Lucas