From: "Chris W. Parker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Charles Kline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, 22 September, 2003 18:21
Subject: RE: [PHP] Shopping Cart Solutions

Henrik Hudson <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    on Monday, September 22, 2003 3:09 PM said:

> My 2 cents. OSCommerce is great if you want to use it out of the box,
> but we tried to extend it and alter some of it's functions and the
> code is very obtuse and making changes in one spot can lead to
> problems in others.

+1

I messed around with it for a few days just trying to add two fields to
the product table but it so difficult to find where all the mysql db
errors were being generated I just gave up and decided to write my own
cart from scratch. ;)

I should clarify a little. I gave up after only trying to add two fields
because the other features that I needed in a shopping cart were WAY
more complicated than the two fields and I reasoned that if it was that
difficult to add two fields it's going to be near impossible to add what
I wanted. So I decided my time would be better spent developing my own
cart (what learning experience it's been!!). I would be able to extend
my own cart much more quickly and efficiently than I could anyone elses
code.

> Also, it tries to throw in the kitchen-sink worth
> of options and if you need something slimmer or more easily
> configured you might be better off starting from another codebase.

+1

Chris.