On 15 Mar 2001 17:56:18 -0800, Randy Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a question.  can a 1 php script access a mysql database more than 10
>times a second....  it's a simple updated statement?   if it can how many
>times do you think it can access the database in a second?

Sure, depending on the hardware, database and server configuration. On my
desktop with a small database which fits entirely in RAM, MySQL doesn't even
blink at a few thousand updates in a second. If you were working with a large
database which is being read and updated by many processes at the same time,
performance won't be as good.

Tips:
        - Make sure you have enough RAM. An easy way to get high performance is
          to make sure the operating system can cache everything and MySQL has
          all the space it wants for buffers.
        - Try to avoid situations with lots of SELECT and UPDATE / INSERT
          statements being executed at the same time. MyISAM tables allow
          simultaneous SELECT and INSERT statements, which can help a lot.
        - If the data doesn't need to be kept permanently (e.g. session
          variables), use the HEAP table type. HEAP tables are kept entirely in
          memory and are insanely fast. This could also help with busy tables
          getting updated frequently - have a HEAP table which is periodically
          refreshed using the INSERT INTO ... SELECT syntax so that you get a
          large SELECT or INSERT statement hitting a table ever 30 seconds
          instead of every time someone requests a page.